Tuesday, May 15, 2012



This Truly has been a Clueless Day-A DAY OF ROOKIE MISTAKES

My husband and I decided to look in another area not too far from the prints.  It has more cover and trees.  All morning we popped into little pockets of trees and followed game trails.  We spent most of the time going sideways and not going forward that much. 

We found some tree breaks and tree structures over by some small ravines.  One area with big boulders caught my eye.  I looked around thinking that if I was a Bigfoot and wanted to go to the water I would travel this way.  I found prints in the snow.  There was still pockets of snow in the shade or facing north. 

I committed my first big rookie mistake.  I'm still kicking myself.  I looked at the prints and assumed that they were bear.  There was toe/claw marks.  There was 2 of them.  They actually were toes and not claw marks.  I estimate that they were about 10 inches long.  I DID NOT TAKE A PICTURE!  I DID NOT MEASURE THEM!  I walked over to a spot not too far and found another similar print.  AGAIN I DID NOT MEASURE OR TAKE A PICTURE!!!!!  I thought that bears would be out at this time. 

This was still winter time and bears were not out yet.  According to rangers, it would be another 2 weeks at least.  The only saving grace about this was my husband.  He took pictures of the prints.  We don't have measurements though.

What did I learn from this?

  • Don't think you know everything.
  • Know the correct facts.
  • Take photos no matter what.
  • Take measurements no matter what.
  • Learn from your mistakes.  Don't make excuses.
 Being clueless has its up and downs.  Now this rookie won't make this mistake again.  I hope I don't make many more careless mistakes such as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment