Monday, May 13, 2013



I had the pleasure of camping the weekend before Mother's Day with some other investigators to check on an area in Pike National Forest.  It was a fun and exciting trip.  We weren't sure of what we would find in this spot.  We were pleasantly surprised.  We used a new technique which I will not divulge, that has been successful in 3 other spots.  So we tried it here every night hoping to get similar responses.  BINGO!  Early Saturday morning around 5 am I woke up to hearing their response.  What a great way to start our weekend!

Every night there I heard movements all around us while in the tent.  It is a little discerning knowing something is walking close by and it sounded bipedal.  Waking up to hearing pebbles thrown on the side of the tent over by 2 of the investigators was an experience I have heard twice now.  I think they do this to see if we are awake.  The sound is soft but distinct.  Walking around and opening our containers was clearly heard by me.  Also knocks were heard off and on every night while I was outside and in the tent.  I was tired when I went home Monday afternoon.  You don't really sleep and when you do finally go to sleep it is not for a long stretch and not very deep.

My favorite equipment while camping is my audio recorder.  I simply attach my detachable mic to the outside of the tent and just let it record.  It is amazing what you hear.  Right now I am going through 10+ hours.  So far just some talking and snoring from us, movements and something touching the mic which is 6 feet up.  When I get to what we call the witching hour (3-5 am) I'm hoping to be surprised. 

So my friends it is an ongoing exciting adventure that keeps getting better and better.

SQUATCH ON!





No comments:

Post a Comment